Why Music Matters
What is the Music Matters campaign?
Originating in the UK in 2010, the Music Matters campaign is a collective of people across the music community, including artists, songwriters, labels, managers, publishers and music stores, formed to remind listeners of the value and significance of music. This site has been created for Australia and New Zealand as part of the Music Matters international campaign.
We all know that music matters: why is this initiative important?
We all know that music is important. But with music more available than ever before, it’s worth reminding ourselves of that fact. It’s easy to forget about the extraordinary lengths that performers, songwriters and musicians can go to create music and the powerful effect that music has on each and every one of us.
We believe it is important to support the musicians and all those involved in making incredible music, and that is why we’ve set up the Music Matters campaign in Australia and New Zealand.
What is the Music Matters Trustmark?
In an evolving digital landscape we think that music fans like to know that the site they are using is legitimate, supporting the artists, musicians, songwriters and everyone involved in creating the music.
The Music Matters trustmark will act as a guide to identifying legitimate sites in Australia, New Zealand and other territories worldwide.
Who supports the Music Matters campaign?
The campaign is supported in Australia and New Zealand across the music community. This includes:
- Range of talented grass-roots animators that are involved in the creation of animations for the MUSIC MATTERS ANZ campaign
- Artists involved in the MUSIC MATTERS animations including: Eskimo Joe, Graeme Connors, Oh Mercy and The Go-Betweens in Australia. In the Uk it includes: Nick Cave, Sigur Ross, Kate Bush, Elbow, Fron Choir, The Jam, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, Bernard Butler
- Artists and managers including through the AAM (Australian Music Managers)
- Songwriters through APRA | AMCOS
- Australian independent record labels through AIR (Australian Independent Record Labels Association)
- Over 125 Australian record labels through ARIA (The Australian Recording Industry Association)
- NZ record labels through Recorded Music NZ
- Music publishers through AMPAL (Australian Music Publishers Association)
- PPCA (Phonographic Performance Company of Australia)
- Community broadcasters through AMRAP (The Australian Music Radio Airplay Project)
- Many Australian music retailers both online and bricks & mortar including through AMRA (Australian Music Retailers) that display the MUSIC MATTERS trust mark
- The University of Technology Sydney – whose talented final year students are involved in the creation of the MUSIC MATTERS animations
- MUSIC MATTERS is being project managed by an Australian/ NZ steering committee made-up of members from ARIA, AIR, APRA/AMCOS, AMPAL, AAM (Managers), AMRA, labels and music publishers.